Having a root canal? Know someone that is having a root canal? Watch this root canal video to learn what to expect! Root canals are not the most fun you will have in your life but watching this root canal video will put your mind at rest.
Root canals (also known more formally as an endodontic treatment) are a dental procedure that is performed on a tooth when the nerve becomes damaged, infected or has died. A root canal can save your tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted due to infection or damage.
There are 7 simple steps to a root canal:
- An oral exam is performed by your dentist and X-rays are taken of the tooth
- The surrounding gums around the damaged tooth are numbed with a local anesthetic
- A rubber dam is placed around the damaged tooth to prevent bacteria from your mouth from entering the exposed chamber of the tooth
- Your dentist then drills a hole into the tooth to expose the infected pulp
- Your friendly dentist carefully cleans out the infected pulp of the tooth with special dental tools
- After the infected pulp is removed, the dentist will sterilize the now empty canal and chamber of the tooth
- The tooth is then filled and sealed with either a temporary or permanent filling
To learn even more about root canals check out this great article on root canal treatments