Dental implants are a permanent way of restoring a missing tooth. They are, essentially, a false tooth root (the implant) with a false tooth (crown) attached. They are placed into the jaw bone and after a healing period will fuse with the bone in a process called osseointegration. This makes them incredibly strong and stable and they will look, feel and act exactly like your own tooth.
- They look and feel like your own teeth and you won’t have any worries about them slipping as you would with dentures.
- They have been shown to preserve bone and reduce bone deterioration, reducing the need for restorative intervention on adjacent teeth
- They reduce the load on remaining teeth or structures by offering independent support rather than the need for bridges
- They help with facial structure, improving wrinkles that may appear as a result of missing teeth
- Long term data suggests implants last longer than other dental restorations
- You may be able to chew food much better than with dentures, or if you don’t replace your missing tooth
- The time it takes to complete the procedure may be around a year, especially if a bone graft is required in the jaw as a result of bone loss
- They are expensive in comparison to crowns or dentures
Dental implants in the United States and Canada average around $3,900, but in Ajijic the price is around $800.
Dental implants will usually take two trips to your dentist in Ajijic. If a bone graft is required this will entail an additional trip.
On the first visit to the dentist, the implant will be placed. The gum above the jaw where the implant is to be fixed is opened and the dentist drills a hole into the jawbone and places the implant. The gum is stitched over completely covering the implant and it is left to heal for between 3 months and a year.
On your next trip to your dentist, the crown will be attached to the implant. You will have impressions made of your mouth which are sent to the lab to make the crown. When the crown is ready you will return to your dentist who will open the gum to expose the implant and attach the crown to it. You will probably need to visit your dentist again before you go home so that your dentist can check it is all as it should be.
Even with a return trip, you should still save money by getting your dental implant in Ajijic, as well as having the opportunity to recuperate in the warmth and relax in this picturesque destination.
You will find the quality of dentistry in Ajijic to be excellent. Dentists are English-speaking and clinics are equipped with the latest technology. We always recommend that you find a reliable dentist, which is why booking with our background-checked dentists should give you peace of mind. We check qualifications, visit clinics and show photos on our website, as well as publish real patient reviews. This gives you a fairly decent overview of what to expect, enabling you to make a decision on whether a particular clinic meets your needs.
Book online or call us toll-free. It’s easy to find a dentist for your dental implants in Ajijic with us. Compare our prices – many of our dentists offer exclusive discounts – and get the guaranteed best price available.
(Image by: Lloyd Real Estate)